On June 24th, 2022, Russian media outlets (1, 2, 3, 4, 5) and individual Facebook pages (1, 2) reported that US Army General Robert Jefferson was calling for the suspension of Lithuania’s NATO membership. The general allegedly noted that due to the blockade of the Kaliningrad region by Vilnius, the world could face a real World War III.
The claim that US General Robert Jefferson asked for the suspension of Lithuania’s NATO membership status is false and was made up by the satirical outlet Panorama Pub.
Information about the American General Robert Jefferson was published on Panorama.pub on June 22nd. The website features a disclaimer that the outlet is satirical and all of the content published on it is made up.
Satirical stories of panorama.pub have been presented as real stories in the past as well. For more, see the articles prepared by “Myth Detector:”
- Did the Pentagon Send Nuclear Missiles to Ukraine?
- Was Khinkali Appropriated by the Union of Russian Restaurants?
- Did Latvia Grant Assistance to Former Pioneers?
- Do the Words “We Only Had Sex, They (Soviet People) Had True Love” Belong to Kissinger?
- Did WHO Top Official Die after Choking on Broccoli?
- Did Kim Jong-un Place Monument to Stalin in North Korea?
- Kissinger’s Interview about USSR is Fake and was Disseminated by Progressnews based on a Russian Satirical Edition
- How did Russian “Satire” Become the Source of Saqinform’s Disinformation?
The article has been written in the framework of Facebook’s fact-checking program. You can read more about the restrictions that Facebook may impose based on this article via this link. You can find information about appealing or editing our assessment via this link.
Read detailed instructions for editing the article.
Read detailed appeal instructions.