On December 27, 2017 the online portal Geworld.ge published an interview with a priest of the Church of Saint Mark of Ephesus in Tbilisi, Vakhtang Davitashvili. Asking about pro-Western course of the Georgian Government, the journalist Jaba Zhvania said that the Europe, among other immoral activities, recognized Incest as a norm.
Jaba Zhvania, Journalist: I will also ask about the pro-Western course of the Georgian Government. Current Government, similar to its predecessor, actively attempts to convince us that modern Europe, which recognized Sodomy, Incest and other immoral activities as a norm, is our historic choice with its mentality and cultural values.
December 27, 2017
This claim stemming from pro-Russian actors was initially spread in 2014 by the leader of Democratic Movement- United Georgia, Nino Burjanadze and is groundless, because:
- Incestual relationship with adolescents is a grave crime in all countries; Incest among adults is criminalized in the majority of EU member states;
- One of the most severe punishments for incestual relationships are provided in the US;
- Among former Soviet States, Incestual relationship is only prosecuted in Moldova;
- Incest is not prosecuted in Georgia and its neighboring countries, including Russia.
In terms of legal regulation, three types of incestual relashionships are distinguished: Incestual relationship with adolescents; Incest among adults and marriage between close relatives or family members. All three forms are regulated by law in EU countries.
- Incestual relationship with adolescents - Laws of EU member states provide severe punishments for individuals engaging in sexual relations with their close relatives below certain age (under 16-18). Belgium, Czech Republic and Croatia tend to aggravate sanctions and broaden the scope of prohibitions. In 2010, due to the amendments in the criminal code of France, every type of incest with adolescents, including non-violent, was defined as rape.
- Incest among adults – In 17 EU Member States incest among adults is punishable with imprisonment. Legislation protecting adolescents from sexual abuse, including incestual relationship, exists in the remaining 11 countries. Besides that, in accordance with the jurisprudence of the European Court of Human Rights, prohibition of incest among adults does not infringe the European Convention on Human Rights, because it is a justified interference in the right to privacy on the ground of protecting family, health and sexual self-determination of a weaker partner.
- Marriage between close relatives or family members - EU member states do not recognize marriage between close relatives and family members.
Incest among adults is not prohibited in Georgia, Russia, Armenia, Azerbaijan. In former Soviet states sexual relations among close relatives and family members are only prosecuted in Moldova.
In 2014, the leader of the political party Democratic Movement- United Georgia, Nino Burjanadze spread analogical disinformation as if the West legalized Incest.
Nino Burjanadze, Nino Burjanadze- United Opposition: “I will never accept legalization of homosexuality, incest, in our country this is unacceptable, and if the choice is: legalizing incest or staying where we are, and I am not in Russia, I am in Georgia, then I would like to stay in my country. " May 2, 2014